In May of 1937, the weavers of Livingston County formed a guild offering each other knowledge, cooperation, support and loom rental. A local weaver and member, Ayliffe Ochs, was then instrumental in forming the statewide weaving association Michigan League of Handweavers, which still exists today.
In the mid 1970's, wishing to further their knowledge and challenge their weaving skills, a group of approximately 10 women from the Brighton area decided to begin meeting monthly in each other's homes. Interest grew quickly and the group decided to form an official guild, the Black Sheep Weavers Guild, in reference to one member's flock of black sheep. The Black Sheep Weavers Fiber Guild of today continues the tradition of creating things useful and beautiful for personal use and for sale in a wide range of fiber arts.